Today my neighbors invited my parents and I over for a BBQ. I immediately volunteered to make dessert, as this would 1) help me to evade studying for the GRE for which I did atrociously on the verbal practice test and was becoming increasingly frustrated, thus would provide me the opportunity to succeed at something and 2) I'll use any excuse to bake!!! If you like t-a-s-t-e-y (and yes, I spelled it like Fergie does in "Fergalicious") then you should try this GEM of a recipe. I'm not normally a lemon person, but the cake only has a hint o' lemon and the icing is dee-lish and adds a little interest. I added coconut and a strawberry because well, I like both those things. I would also recommend listening to an 80's mix while you make them, as I did--not because it has any relevance, but simply because the 80's really turned out some good tunes. Oh, and beware: the grated lemon peel can be a bit of a b**** to get 2 tsps. I eventually gave up as I tend to get a bit impatient, threw in about 1 tsp and then just squeezed some juice in.
Lemon Cream Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and milk; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.