Sunday, April 4, 2010

New York, New Yoooorrrrkkk...It's a Wonderful Toowwnnn!!!


I hope that visions of Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra gleefully dancing through the streets of New York in snazzy sailor's uniforms jumped into your head after you read the title of this post--that's what I'm thinking of right now at least. Check it out if you haven't seen this diddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CIgWZTdgw&feature=related Mmm. Wish I woulda picked me up a sailor. Especially a tap dancing one.

Anyways, today I embarked on a one day adventure to the little town of NYC. Right now, my legs are burning from the miles upon miles that we walked. Up through Central Park. Through the Metropolitan Museum of Art. To the Museum of Natural History (only to discover that we wouldn't be able to actually go in, as Tai was carrying her knife for protection because frick, we watch Law and Order: SVU and you never know who you are going to run into in Central Park--and she's from the South side of Chicago for heaven's sake!--anyways there were large metal detectors. Not looking for trouble, we quickly evaded what could have been some risky business). Up to Applebee's in Times Square. Over to NBC studios. BACK up to Times Square. You get the picture.


Central Park

We had some fun adventures though to be sure, at the expense of our bodies. Central Park was lovely, and people were out walking their particularly plump bulldogs. I got to see the Met for the first time--which was AWESOME (I illegally snapped some pictures...soon to come). I got to see a Van Gogh original, Surat (I think that's how you spell it? The guy who made the pictures with all the dots)...and my personal favorite EDWARD HOPPER (if you'll remember from a previous blog post, I attempted to recreate one of his pictures). The Met was interesting for a variety of reasons though--I can certainly understand why some pieces were in there--pictures from the Renaissance=AMAZING. Monet--thumbs up. But why a yellow plastic chair that looks like it was purchased from IKEA? Why a canvas with some plain multi-colored squares on it? Or a purple vacuum? And yes, all 3 of these pieces had made it into the Met. I'm wondering what it takes to get something in there, because I have a few items lying around my apartment that just might do. The other interesting thing about the Met is that upon admission I presented my student ID card and according to the sign it said I should pay $10. However, the woman at the counter said, "Okay, the suggested donation is $10. It's whatever you want to pay." So let me get this straight. I can basically pay you whatever I want. Because let me tell you, as a person who is not exactly "rolling in the Benjamins" what I want to pay you is $0. Nothing. Nada. Or, you could pay me. Take your pick. What I will pay you and what you are socially pressuring me to pay you are different from what I want to pay you. I'm a capitalist. This means I want the most for the least--the most bang for my buck if you will--which would be viewing the entire Metropolitan Museum of Art for FREE. But alas, my social conscience got the best of me, I submitted to conformity and begrudgingly handed over my $10 knowing it would probably be used to purchase a red chair at IKEA to go with the yellow one they already had. Oh well.


Edward Hopper's Piece

The rest of the day went reasonably well minus the aches and pains that come from walking dozens upon dozens of city of blocks (by the way, did I mention that we walked a LOT?). I got to see NBC studios and we went and looked in the NBC store which made me want to buy a lot of crap that I didn't need including a giant "Central Perk" mug in honor of "Friends" and a t-shirt that says "I donated to the Human Fund" a la Seinfeld. Unfortunately we didn't see any celebrities which would have been awesome, though Tai said that she saw some B-list celeb walking through Central Park that is apparently on a TV show with Joan Rivers, hence why I'd never seen or heard of him and hence why he could walk through Central Park without being mobbed. My only regret: I didn't get to see Detectives Stabler and Benson solving any crimes in Central Park which would have been AWESOME and I would have told Mariska how much I adore her. Oh well, maybe next time.



Outside NBC Studios (Obvi)

No comments:

Post a Comment