Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why I Love My Exercise Buddy

We have this program at school via the gym called "Exercise Buddies." Basically, you grab a partner, and you have to go to the gym so many times in a month. It's sort of an accountability thing so people get more jazzed about physical health, because you have someone else to answer to. Anywho, I LOVE my exercise buddy. Because sure enough, when I arise in the morning and the last thing I want to do is go to the gym, I think, "I need to go, or Exercise Buddy will not be pleased." And this makes me get my butt out of bed (I also sometimes imagine myself as Rachel on Glee in that scene that shows her vigorously getting out of bed at 6 AM and very hyperactively running on her elliptical to trick myself out of bed). But I think there is a much bigger lesson to be learned here, much grander then The Exercise Buddy. We weren't meant to do anything alone. We are meant for community. We are healthier (and in the case of The Exercise Buddy, literally healthier) for it. We keep each other going, and there is someone else to answer to besides ourselves. It is much, much harder to fail. And I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment