Saturday, January 30, 2010

Home















I miss Seattle most days. Nay, every day. Every time there is rain here it's nearly enough to send me running back to the space needle. I like Connecticut a lot, but my heart longs for the runs I used to go on to Kerry Park, Macrina, Trophy Cupcakes, my friends, Greenlake. I miss Sociology classes too. Well I could go on. I do love my job here. A lot. The women I work with are fantastic and I have learned so much from them, I just wish I could pick up my life here and combine it with Seattle. It makes me think of one of my favorite Donald Miller quotes:

Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons. I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, because a mind was made to figure things out, not to read the same pages recurrently.

And I think this is true. The thing is, if I would have stayed in Seattle I know it wouldn't have been the right thing. I think I would have come to resent it in some ways: I needed a new challenge, I needed some adventure. I know that this is where I have to be for this moment in my life, and there is a lot of comfort in that, as painful as it can be sometimes. And as much as I loved Seattle when I was there, I will appreciate it all the more when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment