Monday, January 25, 2010

Why I don't like blogs.

Well. I have decided to start a blog. I've been toying with the idea of whether I should enter the blogging world for a long time. I've been moderately opposed to blogging for quite awhile a) because sometimes I wonder if the world is ready for me b) I don't like the inability to have a conversation/dialogue about said blog. I could write something, and one could interpret it to be something entirely different then what it was mean to be, and this does not sit well with me and c) It seems a bit...dare I say...self-centered? I only say this because I was reading a book called "Generation Me" (totally fabulous, you should get your hands on a copy), and the author talks a lot about how our generation is basically obsessed with ourselves as individuals. We get personalized things when we're younger with our names on them, in elementary school you fill out worksheets called "All About Me," its all about how YOU want things all the time verses what might be better for the collective whole (I'm a sociologist, this is how we think). Why do you think we love things like facebook? Because we have entire pages dedicated to ourselves--our likes, our interests, our jobs. And blogs are really no different. "This is what I want to say, so world hear me!" And yes, I do realize the irony that I am indeed playing exactly into the thing that I oppose. So, all that said, I was a little bit hesitant to start a blog. d) I have a horrible, annoying fear that people will judge what I say and write me off. I don't know why I'm so afraid of this, but I am. And, in a form such as a blog, there I would be, completely defenseless. Plus, sometimes I think people read blogs and think that is ALL the author is thinking. Or maybe that's just me. But, it is my New Year's Resolution to stop caring so much. So, you ask, why did you start a blog? Well, Generic Blog Reader, I started a blog because a) Rob told me to. b) I live far away from home and my dear loved ones might be interested (or maybe not, again with the narcissism) to know what my life is like in Connecticut c) there are some things I am passionate about in life and I feel like they should be spoken about. One of my favorite blogs is dedicated entirely to social justice and has changed my thoughts about things and keeps me informed. Blogs can most certainly be positive as far as change and broadening perspectives is concerned. Finally, d) I'll admit I find writing very therapeutic, and sometimes more so when I feel like I am writing to an audience. Writing makes me stop and think and be. It makes me look more deeply at the world and appreciate it, and maybe I can share that with others in one common experience (for as individual as blogging may appear to be). And I love that.

So, anywho, should you care to read my blog that is awesome. If not, that is just as awesome.

1 comment:

  1. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

    Have fun exploring your thoughts and thank you for allowing us to follow along

    B

    ReplyDelete