Saturday, April 9, 2011

Do Something New-Run a 5K!



Well folks, I completed my first 5K and let me tell you--methinks I might be on my way to being a regular racer. This Saturday my friend Beth and I set out to run the "Burn Calories For Fuel" 5K that supports people in Hartford who cannot pay their heat or utility bills. Now, now, I'm not going to be like those crazy MARATHONERS...but I'd consider a 10K (maybe several months/years from now). My goal was to run the whole thing--and I did it! My first experience was wonderful! I finished 148th out of 197, which frankly I was a little bit disappointed in until one of the RA's told me that she finished second to last in a race and the guy behind her had heart problems, so I'll take what I can get and run with it (PUN INTENDED! I just crack myself up). While my first 5K was certainly a wonderful experience I did have a few qualms:

1. I eat breakfast every day--except today. Gee, that sounds like a great idea. To quote Winnie-the-Pooh--I had a rumbly in my tumbly (as you can see that two out of three of my qualms involve a huge heaping of ME).
2. I wouldn't think to myself, "Hmmm two days before this race I will go on a light walk in my cute little flats" because I would then proceed to develop a huge blister on my heel that will hurt like someone is holding a lighted match to my ankle. Thank goodness for friends with Neosporin!!!
3. You know that phrase "What goes up must come down?" That didn't apply to this course. I felt like I kept running up hills, thinking "I'll get to come down soon!" and was wrong every time--HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! (and why didn't we run the opposite way?)

As I kept pushing through and waiting for that downward part of the hill that never came, I couldn't help but think that while I had put "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John on my "5K" mix, I had epically failed by not including Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run." I finally crossed the finish line to the Glee kids' "Stop in the Name of Love/Free Your Mind," which just made me think of men in jazzy tuxedos like the guys on the show, which had virtually nothing to do with anything. My friend Beth met me at the finish line (she ran with me and was my cheerleader on my first race!). Ra ra yeah me! I know that this is just the first of many to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment