Friday, July 16, 2010

Baking!!


What's cooking in your kitchen Jess? Answer: vegan cupcakes. What?! Vegan?! And let me quickly explain the diff between "Vegan" and "Vegetarian" as I am constantly asked if I am Vegan. "Vegan"=no animal products i.e. meat, dairy, honey, eggs, etc. Vegetarian=no meat [though technically I am a pescatarian as on a occasion I like to enjoy a salmon filet or a crab cake.] Anywho, my bro turned vegan, and to celebrate this I am going to embark on a baking journey through vegan-dom.

Vegan Coconut Cupcakes


Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and salt. Add in the rest of the ingredients, adding the vinegar last. Stir until well combined.

2. Pour into cupcake liners and bake 30 minutes or until centers come clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

3. Frost with your favorite vegan buttercream frosting. Decorate with freshly toasted coconut.

My favorite vegan buttercream frosting:

I sifted some icing sugar into a bowl and added some vegan margarine (earth balance) and mixed until smooth. To get a creamier consistency, I added a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk. I then split the icing up into 2 bowls for 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 vanilla buttercream. Into one, I added a teaspoon of vanilla and into the other, I sifted a large amount of cocoa powder and mixed well with a bit more coconut milk. These are delicious either way!

Serves: 12


We'll find out how they turn out...yummmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment