Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Reads Thus Far


Summer is a time to D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read!--Elementary school anyone? Anyone?)
Wonderful.
Fantastic.
Disturbing (though not shocking).

On the docket:
One of my greatest life accomplishments was in fifth grade where I earned the most stars for pages read. I'm trying to relive my glory days this summer. Basically, back in the day you got a star for every one hundred pages (I think). The stars went up on nametags displayed in our classroom, and I had to start a second name tag because I earned so many (thank youuuuu Baby Sitters Club, or BSC as the fans called it). Oh and I also got a gift certificate to the book club every time I got so many stars--like a WHOLE $5.00! Which I then cashed in so I could read MORE pages! It was a vicious cycle. I lived to read more, more, more! My teacher said she'd never seen a child read so much--though I think she thought I was making my book reports up to be quite honest with you. I also think this officially confirmed my status as a nerd for the next 5 or so years. And nerds are cool! Sweater vests totally came back in style this year, and Tina Fey is bringing back the thick black rimmed glasses so...yup, totally en vogue even in the fifth grade. Or something like that. I think this is why I identify so much with Rachel Berry on "Glee" (minus the whole obnoxious needs-to-be-famous-thing). But I like her knees socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment